Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kevin's Eighth New Friend: ...It's God's Time

Jen asked me to be an adult for the grade school's 8th grade retreat and I said yes.

5:30 am last Friday I am standing in the SSJ parking lot loading up two buses full of 14 year olds.
6:00 am it is time to drive down to Oracle, Arizona (yes, there is such a place) and, it seems that I am the only adult on the second bus (well, I'll allow that the bus driver was of technical "adult" age).  Guess I have to learn how to be grown up: I make them all pray the rosary, like any good Catholic adult.

I get off the bus and there is Wendy Treon.  There was a light breeze in the air that moved the hair across her face and the way the sunlight hit her eyes...wait, no. The air was motionless and I honestly have no clue where Wendy was.  We had met three weeks earlier to discuss my function on the retreat and she seemed so stoic.  But that must have been her in "business" mode.  While the students were working on team building, Wendy and I refined our jokes (our humor is similar and that is all I will say on the subject!)

Mrs. Wendy Treon is the counselor two days a week at the grade school and went to school with Jen.  She has a beautiful family of three and I have every intention of continuing to stalk her on Facebook if we can't hang out in real life.




No comments:

Post a Comment